Here are four
portupgrade commands to make amends:
portupgrade -ncfpvo devel/py27-setuptools devel/py-setuptools27
portupgrade -fpvo devel/py27-setuptools devel/py-setuptools27
portupgrade -ncfprvx devel/py27-setuptools devel/py27-setuptools
portupgrade -fprvx devel/py27-setuptools devel/py27-setuptools
Run similar commands for updating the origin of, say,
r434380 made massive changes to Qt4 and Qt5 in FreeBSD. Sadly, there are no instructions on how to upgrade an existing system. The changes to
ports/head/UPDATING didn’t help at all. Here are the notes I made while upgrading my laptop running stable/11.
To successfully install
misc/qtchooser and upgrade the remaining Qt4 and Qt5 ports, you need to recursively uninstall
At some point you to need to upgrade
devel/qt5-core before everything else, e.g.
portupgrade -fpv devel/qt5-core.
I have a few FreeBSD servers I want to virtualise. They all use ZFS for storage, so I figured a
receive operation would suffice.
The tricky part is estimating how large the disks on the receiving end must be. The
raidz1 pool will be comprised of three (virtual) disks, After trial and error, I arrived at this equation: Continue reading Migrating ZFS from mirrored pool to raidz1 pool
C♯ and mono are both a blessing and a curse. Most documentation, FreeBSD-specific or not, on the internet are more or less outdated. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places. It was really frustrating. Soon this will be outdated too.
Start by adding
lang/mono. Then add
x11-toolkits/libgdiplus. Continue reading FreeBSD has mono
I noticed the weekdays was missing from
xclock‘s digital display when run in FreeBSD
base/head aka 11.0-ALPHA6. FreeBSD
stable/10 doesn’t have this problem. Continue reading Weekdays missing from
xclock‘s digital display
I came across Dan Langille post on
security/ssl-admin and figured I should try it before my old certificates expires later in 2016.
ssl-admin exists mainly for managing OpenVPN certificates, and with some tweaking you can make it work for ordinary SSL/TLS services. Continue reading
security/ssl-admin for ordinary SSL/TLS services
One of my MySQL 5.7.12 instances refused to start after upgrading to FreeBSD’s MySQL port version 5.7.12_1, claiming:
2016-05-18T11:03:26.688719Z 0 [ERROR] InnoDB: The Auto-extending innodb_system data file '/var/db/mysql/ibdata1' is of a different size 4864 pages (rounded down to MB) than specified in the .cnf file: initial 8192 pages, max 0 (relevant if non-zero) pages!
“Googling” the error message led me to http://sharadchhetri.com/2014/11/29/upgrading-mysql-5-1-5-6-service-failed-start/. I added the following line to the
[mysqld] section in
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
At least MySQL is happy.
From the error message I deduced that the current
ibdata1 file has a length equal to 4864 pages × 16 KiB/page = 77824 KiB = 76 MiB, while MySQL 5.7.12 expects this to be at least 8192 pages × 16 KiB/page = 131072 KiB = 128 MiB. The current length was confirmed by running
ls -l /var/db/mysql/ibdata1:
-rw-r----- 1 mysql mysql 79691776 18 mai 13:03 /var/db/mysql/ibdata1
In the long run it’s better to retire the old
/var/db/mysql/my.cnf in favour of the “new”
I too was bitten by the
portupgrade uninstall error, due to broken pipes, on my laptop running FreeBSD/amd64 stable/10. Others have identified the
file 5.26 utility as the culprit, introduced in
stable/10 as r298920.
Watch PR 209211 for any progress.
base/head was corrected at r299234, and
stable/10 will follow soon. Continue reading portupgrade uninstall error, broken pipe
All FreeBSD systems under my care got upgraded last Friday to fix some NTP bugs. That upgrade introduced a new bug in the kernel. The bug first appeared at r298004 in
base/head, and later at r298134 in
base/stable/10. The i386-based systems were more notably affected than the amd64-based systems, as the former typically has less memory than the latter. Continue reading Memory leaks in recent stable/10 kernel
Brandon J. Wandersee’s recent post on the FreeBSD Questions mailling list pointed me to Matthew Fuller‘s BSD vs Linux. Enjoy!
You should replace every mention of “CVS”, “CVSup”, and “pkg_*” with “Subversion” (SVN), “SVNup”, and “pkg *”, respectively. I.e., the command
pkg_add becomes the command
pkg add (with no underscore), etc.